If you often wish that your breasts were larger, fuller or more shapely, breast enlargement surgery may be the right choice for you. Breast enlargement (also called augmentation mammaplasty) is a cosmetic procedure that uses implants to enlarge and shape the breasts. Your new look will bring you greater freedom with fashion and may help boost your self-image as well.
Is breast enlargment right for me?
Any one of the following feelings or conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for breast enlargement:
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small.
- Weight loss has changed the size and shape of your breasts.
- After having children, your breasts have become smaller and have lost their firmness.
- Dresses that fit well around your hips are often too large at the bustline.
- One of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other.
- You feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting top.
In addition, there are several "musts" for anyone considering breast
- If you are a young woman, your breast development must be complete.
- You must be emotionally mature and fully understand your own motivations for wanting the procedure.
- You must have realistic expectations, knowing that the procedure can bring improvement, but not perfection.
Where do I begin?
A consultation with Dr. Han is the first step to learn how breast enlargement can enchance your body image. The doctor will assess your physical and emotional health and discuss your specific cosmetic goals for surgery.
You should arrive ready to provide complete information about:
- Previous surgical procedures
- Past and present medical conditions
- Medications you are taking, including herbal remedies or nutritional supplements
- The results of mammograms you have had
- Any history of breast cancer in your family
As part of the consultation, your breasts will be examined and perhaps photographed for your medical record.
Dr. Han may suggest additional cosmetic procedures to improve your results, such as a breast lift procedure be performed in conjunction with your breast enlargement surgery.
What are the risks with breast implants?
By making the decision to consult with a qualified plastic surgeon like Dr. Han and following all the instructions given, you are taking an important step in helping to assure your safety. Each year, thousands of women undergo breast enlargement surgery and experience no major complications.
However, it is important to fully understand the risks as well as the benefits of the procedure and discussing them during your consultation. For a more detailed discussion of risks please see the consent form (LINK) also on our website.
Also remember that by carefully following the doctor’s advice and instructions both before and after surgery will minimize certain risks on your part.
What can I do to prepare?
Prior to surgery, you will be given specific instructions that may include:
- Avoiding certain medications that may complicate surgery or recovery
- Arranging for help or special care following surgery
- Pre-surgical considerations, diagnostic testing and medications
- Day of surgery instructions and medications
- Specific information related to the use of anesthesia
- Postoperative care and follow-up
You will be asked to sign consent forms to assure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks or potential complications.
It is natural to feel some anxiety, whether excitement for the anticipated outcome or preoperative stress. It’s very important to address all your questions and concerns directly with the doctor.
How will I be cared for on the day of my surgery?
Breast enlargement may be performed in a hospital, an outpatient surgery center or our accredited office-based surgical suite. If you are admitted to the hospital or surgical facility, your stay will be short, usually just one night.
For some patients, local anesthesia with intravenous sedation is used. For others, general anesthesia may be the best choice. With either type, you'll remain very comfortable throughout the procedure.
How is breast enlargement performed?
The technique used for your surgery depends not only the doctor’s preferences, but also on your desired results. The incision is small and is usually made in one of three locations: underneath the breast just above the crease, around the lower edge of the areola, or within the armpit
Dr. Han prefers the under the armpit incision due to the inconspicuous location of the scar. But during the consultation Dr. Han will be able to discuss all approaches so you will be able to make a decision that best meets your needs.
Once the incision is made, the doctor will create a pocket into which the implant is inserted. This pocket is made either directly behind the breast tissue or beneath the pectoral muscle located below the breast tissue and above the chest wall.
What happens after surgery?
You will emerge from surgery wearing a support bra, gauze wrappings or other dressings. Within a day or two after your surgery, you should be up and around. Most of the discomfort that you feel can be controlled with prescribed medication.
You will also have the option of obtaining the On-Q pain pump to decrease post operation pain.
Although everyone heals at a different rate, you can expect that your recovery will follow this general time line:
Within one week
- You'll be permitted to shower
- Your stitches will be removed (unless dissolving sutures were used)
- You may feel able to return to nonstrenuous work
- You can resume sexual relations (as long as the breasts are treated gently)
After several weeks
- Most of the swelling will subside and you'll start to see your final result
- You may discontinue wearing the support bra
- You may resume vigorous exercise and arm movements What should I know about my results?
What should I know about my results?
Most women who receive breast enlargement are very pleased with the result. Your new, natural curves will let you wear a greater variety of fashions, even dresses with low-cut necklines and form-fitting tops. Many women find that their new figure gives them a greater sense of self-confidence-whether they’re on the beach or in the boardroom.
You are likely to be happy with your results for many years. However, keep in mind that your breasts are not immune to the effects of weight fluctuations or aging.